View Single Post
Old Posted Apr 21, 2012, 11:53 PM
TL;DR

Quote:
Originally Posted by denizen467 View Post
Baffled by your photo, I went onto Google ... would a correct response to your post be "midjarfilpla"?
Doesn't quite have the same ring to it... Although maybe you could pass it off as some ethnic neighborhood like Pilsen, Jackowo or La Villita.

Quote:
Originally Posted by denizen467 View Post
Wait, are you advocating for in-street columns (like Wabash) instead of those curb columns (like on VanBuren)? Those are a nutty traffic impediment and I was going to propose one day that Wabash be re-done to move them to the curb if feasible. Wouldn't the Van Buren "sewer" problem be more a result of the width of the street, the width of the sidewalks, and/or the width of the track structure overhead? Not to mention that buildings are typically oriented facing N-S streets, which favors Wabash, and all the love Van Buren gets is alley entrances/exits. Also, Wabash, being closer to Grant Park, gets the prime buildings while Van Buren, particularly in the forlorn SW loop, gets decaying 19th century saloons, etc.
Well, the street width is the biggest issue, but I have no idea what the businesses or buildings were like along Van Buren before the Union Loop was built. I can probably guess that there were saloons and such, based on the rough-and-tumble, vice/industrial nature of the South Loop, but the Monadnock Building was built there and it was a premier office property in 1900.

I'm pretty sure that Van Buren would be far better off today if it was identical to Wabash. Then again, Lake isn't much better, crowded with garage exits and ventilation grilles.