View Single Post
Old Posted Feb 26, 2008, 10:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr.x2 View Post
Unless there's MASSIVE densification in Vancouver, the city doesn't deserve that many lines. A streetcar line along 41st Avenue would be more ideal, and feasible, than an M-Line loop.
I believe I admitted as much right off the bat.

Quote:
The SFU-Richmond Knight Line is completely unnecessary.
I hope it's not the naming that's tripping you up.
The SFU part of it simply indicates that SFU can be connected to downtown via rapid rail, meaning also transfers to other lines and ability to get to SFU quick from pretty much anywhere.

The Richmond aspect covers the eastern part of Richmond, and let me tell you as someone who's worked there for a year and a half and commuted from Vancouver, it IS needed. It's an area of massive commerical zones with massive parking lots. And the highway access is a nightmare even NOW with rush hour traffic moving at a CRAWL as everyone tries to get to and from work. I may have gotten a lot of things wrong on that map but that's not one of them.

Finally the Knight aspect is to give some rapid transit to the vancouver east side zone between cambie and kingsway which is massive and has terrible transit.

Quote:
The proposed Evergreen Line to the Tri-Cities is missing,
Look again, it's there.

Quote:
and so is the WCE. More transit should be built out in the Fraser Valley/Surrey. Perhaps add an LRT or Expo extension down King George Highway to Newton.
The WCE is commuter rail which I consider different from rapid transit skytrain/subway-like lines. That's also why there's nothing going to abbotsford and chilliwack. There's LARGE distances being covered with nothing in between - not something for a skytrain/subway like system to consider.

The Newton is an oversight that I haven't gotten to yet.

Quote:
It would also be better to have the Arbutus LRT/SkyTrain run under Burrard in downtown rather than merging with the Canada Line....not to mention that a merge is not possible given the depth and steep grades of the bored tunnel.
I very much like the idea of running it under Burrard, I disagree on the possibilities of a merge. Lots of more complicated engineering projects have been completed, and lots more complicated subway systems have interwinding tunnels.

Quote:
The Downtown Loop Line is not needed....something like the already City proposed Downtown Streetcar would be much more ideal.
I think it's nice. Plus in my mind the downtown of the future will be even MORE densified. West end still has too many low rises.

Quote:
A Hastings Line should either be LRT or a separate SkyTrain line, not an extension of the Expo Line. The Expo Line would simply be too long, and the quality of service could be compromised.
Good point.

The North Shore extensions aren't too bad.

Quick aside to someone who said they're working on their own map with stations:

That's how I started out too, but then I started noticing that new stations and lines I was adding were DISAPPEARING. I couldn't figure out what was going on until I realized that Google has a limit of 200 objects that you can place on one given map. After that it starts paging. So at the bottom of the panel on the left you can click on page 2, 3, etc. And that's just too much of a hassle. So I got rid of all but transfer stations.