View Single Post
Old Posted Apr 18, 2013, 6:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nomarandlee View Post
Maybe I'm just a romantic or a naive. I just know I would so much prefer to look out at the view of the Lake View neighborhood on a beautiful summer day or night and look off at Lake Michigan between innings then being bombarded with a kiss cam and tacky 100 decibel beer commercials at my senses that make the ADD set happy. I'l be honest that I've been to a lot of stadiums with jumbo trons (pretty much every pro stadium other then Wrigley) and I can count on one hand the number of times video or information on the screen that I feel is the least bit compelling or information. I think if the Cubs really wanted to be at the forefront of technology they would instill free wi-fi in the stadium (with periodic adverts of some sort) given that people are looking at their smart phones and go them for instant information anyway these days.
The wi-fi idea is definitely a good idea. However, how much can be generated from that? It would probably be based on clicks which doesn't generate nearly as much revenue.

But I think people need to stop focusing as much on the jumbotron as an essential part of the plans as much as a means to an end. Have you seen pictures comparing the Cubs clubhouse to ANY other major league team? If I was a player I'd be livid that my buddies in Minnesota get a huge, gorgeous club house, with a whirlpool and training facilities while I'm stuck in what is essentially a glorified closet. But upgrading the clubhouse costs money.

As a fan, I think there are some great concessions at Wrigley Field, but there aren't enough stands. That's because the kitchens are at capacity right now. Increasing kitchen size would make sense, but that costs money.

It would be nice in the upper deck if there was more room. The aisle between the 400 and 500 sections gets very crowded and difficult to maneuver, especially between innings. It'd be really nice if they could building out some sort of larger upper deck concourse (part of the plans). But building that out costs money.

Guess what brings in that money. A jumbotron. The Cubs aren't asking for any money from the city or state to do these renovations that will increase the fan experience and increase the desire to play for the Cubs. It may not be perfect, but it needs to be done.