View Single Post
Old Posted Dec 12, 2021, 5:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nouvellecosse View Post
My position isn't that I'm certain expanded, generalized EV subsidies is a bad policy; It's that others shouldn't be so certain that it's a good one. Until we need some more data I'm personally undecided. It would require a study showing dollars in tax credits spent vs total carbon reduction under the current limited subsidy regime compared to with subsidies expanded.
The best policy would be a very high carbon tax.
This is obvious in comparing the size and consumption of vehicles driven in jurisdictions where gas is taxed very highly. How many people would drive F150s today, if gas was $2/L for regular?

The only reason we have incentives is because it's entirely politically infeasible for any government to do what is honestly needed. So governments are pursuing a combination of push and pull policies. We're literally in the middle of Europe (where most countries have limited EV incentives and higher carbon pricing) and the US (where the government is pushing massive tax breaks because carbon taxes are entirely politically infeasible).