View Single Post
Old Posted Apr 18, 2013, 6:53 PM
My Mind Has Left My Body

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neuman View Post
If you miss Tribune ownership their is something wrong with you Alexi. Ricketts is doing everything the Trib should have been doing themselve while they owned the team for almost 30 years. The Cubs have been leaving millions upon millions in revenue on the table for decades because of the Trib's lack of vision and incompetent management of the franchise. They even sold the team for far less than what it actually is worth, especially now that these regional sports network tv deals are adding $100 million plus annually to the revenues...
The Trib's biggest misstep was not spending as much as the big boys like the Red Sox or Yanks. Which they are arguably capable. Neither did they hire the right baseball people to run the on field operations. That isn't something I yet to see Ricketts carry out though either other then unfilled vague promises that every owner makes.

The Trib took a company they bought in 1982 for something like 25 million I think and sold it for +800 million. Like Alexi said they took a stadium that many summer days struggled to draw 10k and by the end they consistently drew +35k per game and over 3 million per year even charging the 3rd highest ticket prices in MLB. Their marketing success was so well regarded that the Blackhawks opened up a blank checkbook to the Cubs long time marketing director who has turned the Hawks around.

What have the Ricketts done other then given fans other then a noodle, Toyota sign, and hopes pinned on wonder boy Theo?