View Single Post
Old Posted Jan 25, 2021, 6:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ardecila View Post
^ Chicago has proven that it is perfectly willing to expand the boundaries of "wealthy Chicago" to avoid exorbitant prices. That's how gentrification went from a little corner of Old Town in the 1940s to encompass the entire North Side and the Milwaukee Ave corridor, plus West and South Loop. I see no indication that the boundaries will stop expanding. The city is also opening up industrial corridors to residential like never before.
100% agree with this. In the last decade, the West Loop, western part of River North, West Town, Blue line corridor out to Logan Square, etc. have all been brought into the "wealthy Chicago" fold. Almost all of those still have capacity to add more, and neighborhoods like Pilsen, Uptown, etc. seem like they are next up. Not to mention megadevelopments like Lincoln Yards, 78, etc.

One other perk of WFH I've realized is that it mitigates the downside of bad weather. Of course good weather is still better, and people aren't going to stay inside for all of December-February. But not having to trudge through snow to the bus stop 5 days a week is a plus.

All of that makes me bullish for the city, at least for this segment of the population. Urban lifestyle and amenities + weather that is great half the year and avoidable for the other half + relatively affordable housing costs is an attractive combination.