View Single Post
Old Posted Sep 28, 2020, 6:55 PM
devout Pizzatarian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pj3000 View Post
Yeah, I get your points. I guess I wasn’t going by CSA because I don’t think that’s what Steely’s intent is and isn’t describing in his initial post with his examples of Chicago ring cities that have become completely connected/engulfed by the major city’s sprawl. All of his examples are just that.

Atlantic City is nowhere near that in the case of Philadelphia. Nor is Reading, really (not yet, at least... it is connected via the 422 corridor, but not fully surrounded by the “Philly area” by any means). Similarly with Allentown/Lehigh a valley, though even less so. Trenton functions as far more of a “ring city” for Philadelphia than it does for NYC obviously. I just don’t think that CSA classifications necessarily fit for Steely’s example.

yeah, places like AC weren't really what i had in mind when i created the thread, but i also didn't spell out any ground rules, leaving the topic open to a lot of interpretation.

by "historical ring cities", i meant small cities that formed independent from, and outside of, their alpha city's Urban Area (ie. not contiguous with it at the time), that then grew to some modest established size in the pre-war era (say, at least 25,000 people by 1940), and were then fully consumed by post-war sprawl into the alpha city's Urban Area over the past 8 decades.

Last edited by Steely Dan; Sep 28, 2020 at 7:06 PM.