View Single Post
Old Posted Aug 10, 2011, 4:27 PM

I'd be really surprised if they ever build any sort of rail-based rapid transit to the North Shore. There just isn't a population need and the seabus works plenty fine. Not to mention population growth isn't major on the North Shore compared to other areas of Metro Vancouver that are much more in need of rail-based rapid transit solutions. I'd much sooner see about 15 new lines completed before anything to North Shore is done.

I mean let's face it, from 2001 to 2006 the combined North Shore grew by 1.1%. Compare that to 5.9% in Vancouver alone or 4.6% in Burnaby and 13.6% in Surrey. Heck even UBC grew by 34.5% and population wise grew by more people that the North Shore combined in 5 years.

We'll see what happens with the 2011 census but I just don't think the North Shore justifies a massive expense to build any major transit across the inlet there. Better bus service across the Lions Gate which is being done and Sea Bus are much smarter. Not to mention a lot of the recent growth in West Vancouver is being done in the $million mansion realm and anyone that can afford a $million mansion wouldn't step foot anywhere near a bus or transit system. So you're really dealing with like a crowth of 1000-2000 people every 5 years. Hardly justification for a $billion+ transit expansion. Not when places like Surrey grow by that in a few weeks.

I do know this is the Transit _Fantasy_ forum though.

Just saying.