View Single Post
Old Posted Apr 10, 2018, 4:52 AM
Doctor, The Doctor...Fun

Big update with three new models!

First up is The Centre in Hong Kong, China!

This one is simple overall but the base section is interesting in that there are four main framed supports and the underside is mostly open with only a few features near the center of the structure. For this reason, I separated the main tower and the supports from the base and underside features so they can be more easily painted.

Next up is SEG (Shenzhen Electronics Group) Plaza in Shenzhen, China!

There wasn't a whole lot of source material for this one (no floor plans or sections and only a few elevation drawings) so I was dependent on Baidu Maps for street views as well as Google Earth for satellite images to get the roof details. I did extensive searching to find decent reference images of the text on the front and sides of the building to recreate them!

After making significant progress on the model for this one, I realized that I started in 1:1000 scale (forgot to divide the mm measurements around the reference images by 2) so I had to start over! A setback no doubt, but the second build went a lot faster than the first so it wasn't a huge deal but I definitely needed to step away from my computer for a day to cool off haha.

And last but definitely not least (this is actually one of my favorite thus far), the JW Marriott Marquis in Dubai, UAE!

Thankfully, I was able to find numerous floor plans to get a gauge on the angle of the towers as well as the location of the protruding features along the front and back faces of each. Once I followed the plans for the base section, I inserted a Google Earth satellite image from a near perfect top view and was pleased to see it line up perfectly! There are a ton of details on this one since its odd footprint warranted a simpler base shape which left ground level areas between sections of the structure, so they're populated with planters, sidewalks, and other details. I also put all the roof detail on the rear lower roof portion with the pools, bar, etc.

This is definitely one of my favorite models so far and another one that warranted an additional screen shot to show the rear base details.