View Single Post
Old Posted Nov 19, 2021, 6:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdawg View Post
Supposedly extending the N train to LGA was nixed by nimbys years ago but I don't really understand that and I live in the area. Everything past 21st Avenue is super industrial with very little residential. They should extend the N past its current terminal with a stop around Robert DeNiro's $1B Wildflower Studios, then a station on a redeveloped Rikers Island, then finally on to LGA.
I'm not too confident that the jail complex will be completely removed. The cost of building a new prison anywhere in Manhattan would be horrendous and Brooklyn's not much better. Plus, the island is awfully convenient to...Queens and Brooklyn.

I'm not sure what the height limit is on Riker's but it can't be particularly high. Otherwise it would be fun to think about interlining the planned Second Ave. subway extension under 125th with a new train across to Riker's and the airport. The island is big enough for such a line to surface and have two (cheap) at-grade stations before heading back underwater to the airport.