View Single Post
Old Posted Feb 14, 2020, 12:30 AM

^^When I came to San Francisco decades ago, it was a job transfer and I had to immediately go to work which was demanding and required me to drive (because I was working across the Bay). As far as I was concerned, having to spend 30-60 minutes searching for a parking space on the street when I got home from a difficult day was not an option. And niether was having my packages left on the street and possibly stolen. I didn't care about the pool or party room or gym (though in my younger years the spa was nice) but the 2 things mentioned were simply non-negotiable and, since I was buying rather than renting, so was a need to do significant renovation/redecoration before I could move in (or after if it required time because I sometimes worked long hours).

I bought new construction. I probably would have made more money by now renovating a Victorian or something, but I just needed a place to live that was "move-in ready" and made life simple. Many people feel this way, I believe, in a city of hard workers with long hours.