View Single Post
Old Posted Jan 8, 2014, 4:57 PM
TL;DR

Quote:
Originally Posted by LMich View Post
And, again, not extensive, but here is The Reuther at Woodward Avenue (I-696 at M-1) two miles north of 8 Mile looking east. What's interesting is that Woodward splits with local and express lanes, with the express going beneath the already entrenched Reuther, and the local branching off to stay at grade. 10 Mile Road makes up the service drives.
This is usually called a "volleyball" or "three-level diamond" interchange. This one is pretty unique because the main roads are both depressed and nothing rises above ground level.

Usually it's much cheaper and more compact to send one road above grade and one below, like this in Northern Virginia.

That reminds me of a really neat interchange on the Ronda in Barcelona... It's like the one at Woodward/696, except the top level is replaced by a traffic circle, and there are some direct ramps between the two depressed roads. It wouldn't meet American standards for turn radius or acceleration distance, but the highest speed limit here is only 80kph (50mph).

flickr/JordiGoetz (+ my stitching)