View Single Post
Old Posted Jul 10, 2022, 3:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quixote View Post
I propose removing all the parking garages in the CTA to an off-site location (shown below in red) right next to the ITF West and replacing them with more terminal space that includes check-in facilities, baggage drop-off, screening, concessions, and lounge space on a 3rd, 4th, or 5th level that crosses over World Way and above the main terminal check-in and security screening before escalators take you down to the post-security concourse. Those who checked in and went through security in the main terminal would be able to go up the escalators and access the extension. Hong Kong's airport has something similar to this with T2.

Because we're talking about multi-story buildings with large footprints, you'll never ever have to worry about not having enough concessions space. Airline lounges could be much, much more spacious. This frees up space within the actual concourses themselves, allowing for higher ceilings and larger holdrooms. And get this... the extensions wouldn't require any more walking than other large airports; LAX is that compact.
Honestly not the worst idea I've ever heard. Extending the building over World Way though, while keeping it open to traffic the entire time, would be difficult if not impossible. Separate buildings with regular pedestrian walkways would be more the ticket.

The lounges likely wouldn't move, the airlines really like having them as close as possible to the gates for the best pax experience. Check in facilities, baggage drop off, and screening could also probably stay where they are honestly, don't take up much space in the end.

What I'd really want to relocate are the airline offices. Up above all the holdrooms are offices for gate agents (or rather their bosses), "relationship managers" etc. That's what's actually taking up all your precious ceiling height.

Move all of that to the other side of World Way. Plus a whole ton of concession space, amenities. I'm talking really premium stuff, things so nice people would want to visit even if they don't have a flight. Basically what I'm saying is, build Singapore Changi.

But then you'd have to find a way to pay for all this. Which is a problem because as I said in a previous post, you have to convince the airlines to pay for it. The airlines aren't going to see a lot of benefit for them in this plan. They don't get a cut of concessions, and they know a the nicest terminal still probably isn't going to convince you to take a flight you weren't already planning on making. All they're really interested in is keeping up with the Joneses, so that you won't walk over to the next terminal and take a flight with their competitors.

Oh, and in case you think maybe you could be smart and lease out the space to a private developer, think again. Federal law says airport land must be used for "aviation purposes". Try building what is basically a mall and the airlines will complain to the FAA that the property that be used as parking structures for airline passengers instead. Because god help us, an airport dreaming of being anything other than a collection of gates for them to use? Those are dangerous thoughts comrade...