View Single Post
Old Posted Oct 27, 2021, 3:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eschaton View Post
Son (eight) had a COVID scare this week, which effed up the last two days.

Sunday he started having a runny nose, which then advanced into a cough and a sore throat. No fever, just minor cold symptoms.

In the morning on Monday, he was still the same. We gave him a home COVID test, which came out negative, but school protocol requires a test from a medical provider, so I had to take him to the pediatrician for a PCR test around 8:30. He stayed home, watched cartoons, and napped, while my wife and I both worked from home, contemplating what it would be like if we needed to do this for the next 2-3 weeks.

Tuesday he was feeling better, and we managed to fix the firewall on his school-issued laptop so he could participate in school virtually. I went into work because I had things that needed to be printed out/mailed, while my wife worked from home. Getting him into class was challenging, because we knew all the systems last year during virtual school, but they don't have good protocols established for just dialing in to in-person classes. By the middle of the day we got back the negative test result. Printed it out, and sent it in with him this morning.

I hope I don't get called to pick him up. Technically school protocol says "symptom free for 24 hours" and he still does have a very mild cough (like he coughs once every 30 minutes).
This is not a “Covid scare”, this is a “ridiculously overbearing school district scare”.

Do they expect people to go through all this BS every time a kid has a cough now? Jesus Christ.
There is a cult of ignorance in the United States, and there always has been. The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that "my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge." - Isaac Asimov