View Single Post
Old Posted Nov 24, 2020, 9:28 PM
He/his/him. >~<, QED!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Handro View Post
Agreed. Build places that attract young innovators (and a shiny campus on the Chicago river could do that for many college-aged students), then let them spin off and build the next amazing idea in their apartment in Avondale.

Yes, the state/city needs to do more to stop the bleeding of people from the city, but this type of investment is an important piece to what you're talking about, IMO. We can debate it's place on the priority list but I think we'd all agree it's on it. It's like a college investing in athletic facilities to attract better athletes. Whether the DPI itself contributes to some innovation is not really the point, the attention it attracts on the tech/science is what's important.
Yes, ultimately, attracting students/researchers/faculty is the goal. And the associated NSF/NIH/DOD/DOE/NASA grants, which the Universities get to extract overhead from and hire researchers with (like me!). And keeping any commercial outgrowth here would be great too, which might be easier in Chicago than in Champaign...

Last edited by SIGSEGV; Nov 24, 2020 at 9:40 PM.