View Single Post
Old Posted Nov 22, 2022, 2:17 AM
Tony V / ValuezTV

Quote:
Originally Posted by allovertown View Post
I think some on this board have incredibly different views on what constitutes "safe."

I completely agree that this intersection is fine. Calling it "ground zero" for violence in Philly is absurd. Generally speaking, more people = more safety and it's bustling with people here, plenty of healthy businesses.

I think this project will be a great success.
I agree with that and I also understand, there is a different safety level perception between Rittenhouse and North.

Yea you could have something happen in both areas at any time, but you're less likely to have something happen in Rittenhouse than Broad & Erie.

But as we notice the economic health of an area will show the health of it's residents.

When the Beury building is rehabbed, it will take a big rock off the shoulder of the area, it will push the needle forward for more redevelopment, but I want to make this clear, the ONLY way we can preserve small businesses and residents from rising costs is to provide some upgrade grants to allow them to keep up with the times, if the city truly cares about it's residents they will help push them up as areas improve and not allow areas to be fully gentrified pushing longtime residents away.

I think Gentrification is a good tool, but it should have been used more to fill the gaps and improve neighborhoods compared to pushing everyone out and moving new people in, yea some areas need to be hazed and rebuilt but not every area needs that treatment for now.

Another good project is that I noticed the plaza across the street is getting a facelift, thats good for people that use that plaza. Hopefully we can start getting some more trees around Broad where we can, I know the BSL below prevents that but maybe we can use big planters or fake trees