View Single Post
Old Posted Mar 17, 2012, 4:41 AM
designer&stuff

Quote:
Originally Posted by aquablue View Post
As a visitor, I can say that YES, your city does need more interesting architecture and vibrancy, and this building will help. In fact, much of the downtown area in SF is dull, boring and needs spicing up with some new energy. Also, I find your skyline very underwhelming, and this building will make it far more attractive.
I guess as a native to the SF Bay Area, the financial district can be somewhat barren on a non-weekday or perhaps even architecturally, but the city offers so much more than simply the central business district that serves its function well. Moreover, I welcome additional changes to the skyline, yet I don't desire the financial district to imitate the Loop in Chicago or Lower Manhattan in New York City. Each city has its distinctive characteristics, but they shouldn't necessarily emulate each other.
“Most planning of the past fifteen years has been based upon three destructive fallacies: the cataclysmic insists upon tearing everything down in order to design from an absolutely clean slate; the automotive would plan for the free passage of the automobile at the expense of all other values; the suburban dislikes the city anyway and would just as soon destroy its density and strew it across the countryside.” Vince Scully