View Single Post
Old Posted Feb 23, 2009, 9:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by newflyer View Post
I am not sure if you realize this .. but both Calgary and Winnipeg already both have large Loblaws disribution centres, among many others. Saskatoon also has a Loblaws distribution centre ..... It won't make or break any city. Winnipeg is already a major hub of many retail outlets, but I don't feel this has or will influece any Winnipeg's or any other city's roll as a inland port. Storage of food is not relivant in terms of an inland port.
http://www.loblaw.ca/en/empl_lcl_distribution.html

Winnipeg is the largest inland distribution centre in Western Canada period.. and it is not so much focusing on more local retail distribution, which is already a major part of the local transportation fabric of the city. It is more about an efficient inland port with manufacturing added value connected to the major transportation corridor. Well over a billion dollars of infrastructure is in process of being implimented or will be developed over the next couple years to enhance Winnipeg's status as a major inland port.

I don't see Regina and Winnipeg really competing at all.

Regina = Loblaws consolidation.

phase 1 of the Regina Loblaws Distribution Center will service Manitoba and Saskatchewan.

Phase 2 of the Loblaws Distribution Center will service all of western Canada

Saskatoons is closing...I question the future of the Alberta, Manitoba, B.C facilities......maybe they will be downsized or dare i say phased out entirely??

Jane Marshall, executive vice-president of real estate for Loblaw Companies, said Loblaw chose to build the distribution centre in Regina for several reasons.

"Loblaw Companies is Canada's largest food distributor. We have 50 million square feet of retail space across the county; 15 million of that retail space is located in Western Canada,'' she said.

Loblaw is currently "revitalizing" its retail store line-up, including sprucing up its Real Canadian Superstore locations and converting many of its Extra Foods locations into discount No Frills stores, Marshall said.

"This facility will serve those stores, primarily in Saskatchewan and Manitoba in the first phase. But, as we construct the balance of the facility (to) just under one million square feet, it will serve all of our stores in Western Canada.''

Being CP's largest customer, Loblaw also wanted to be close to the intermodal facility, which would help Loblaw "optimize our service levels to our stores" and "minimize our environmental impact," she said.

Peter McMahon, executive vice-president of supply chain and information technology for Loblaw, agreed Regina was the "ideal location" for the distribution centre, especially after the announcement of CP's intermodal facility

"It really helps us with our strategy in transport of taking more and more product off the road, (dealing) with the escalating price of fuel ... and dealing with the environment impact.''

Initially, the facility will hire 500 employees in its first year of operation. But McMahon said the distribution centre will "very quickly'' expand to one million square feet and distribute about three million cases of product per week.

"It's a big deal. It's a lot of trucks. It's a lot of volume going out of the distribution centre.''

With an estimated 1,400 trucks per week using the facility, road and highways in the area will have to be upgraded to accommodate the additional traffic.

-----------

be nice having a true "Ring Road" around the city
here

the next 10 years will be an exciting period for Regina...

did i hear correctly that Federated a Co-op Distribution Center is relocating from Saskatoon???..maybe I am wrong , but In January 2008 FCL announced it will be spending $1.9 billion over the next 4 years to expand its refinery to be able to process 130,000 barrels of oil a day..................................................and now there is serious talk of a new domed stadium...

very cool