View Single Post
Old Posted Jun 19, 2007, 11:16 PM
Of Heart's Delight

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadwarrior View Post
What's with trying to play the race card here? Most residents of the area actually support the redevelopment plan and understand that building a stadium will help attract other badly needed services and amenities to this long neglected part of the city.
The stadium has been inadequate for years. The neighborhood has been in need of revitalization for even longer. The team finally decides that there are better options elsewhere and suddenly Newsom comes out and says that the 49ers are doing a great injustice to Bayview-Hunters point, because it's somehow their fault. Fans at Candlestick have little to no connection to the area as it is. A change is needed but the new planned development would only price out current residents by becoming Mission Bay Part II. The city wants to sugarcoat it with something generic and "African."

So no, I am not playing the race card. Newsome and Friends are.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BTinSF View Post
A few minor corrections:

- The Yorks want to move to Santa Clara because they think they can suck more subsidy out of the taxpayers there than in San Francisco which has finally wised up to the stupidity of handing taxpayer money over to sports-oriented businesses.

- The city has refused to pour money into Candlestick because everybody has known for some time that no amount of renovation there would satisfy the Yorks who have made it clear as long as they've owned the team that they wanted a new stadium, preferably on somebody else's dime (these are business people, not playboys like Eddie DeBartolo).

- There is (or was) another thread about San Franciscan arrogance. We are arrogant about our arrogance so tread carefully.
-I know the Yorks are no Saints and I hope Santa Clarans (?) vote it down.

-I'm not talking mass renovations. That's a waste. I'm talking simple repairs, like the escalator that's been a stairway for decades.

-I'm arrogant in pointing out your arrogance, so please excuse me.