View Single Post
Old Posted Feb 2, 2009, 7:57 AM
Midwest Moderator - Editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by ginsan2 View Post
From what I remember, Granholm was also in favor of developing the miles and miles of unused land we already have, instead of pushing out to Northville/Novi/the other soulless burbs. Not that that went through, but she has a good history there.
Yes, one of her very first executive orders ordered that state governments looking for new space look at renovating and expanding exisiting facilities, or looking to brownfields within cities before considering suburban/exurban locations to relocate to. Another one of her first executive orders was the creation of the Michigan Land Use Leadership Council to study and report to her about sprawl and how to reduce it. This is not to mention her orderings that road renovation projects get priority over expansion projects (this is how she shut down the proposed I-75 Expansion through Oakland County), among many other things.

Hell, Engler probably didn't even know how to spell "urban", let alone identifying sprawl and dying cities as a problem. For whatever grief she gets on the handling of the state economy, she's the first governor to ever directly address in a progressive way land-use issues, and gets and "A" for that in my book.