View Single Post
Old Posted Aug 26, 2020, 4:16 AM
Development Shill

Quote:
Originally Posted by vexxed82 View Post
Aerials are tricky. You're moving fast and can literally circle the entire skyline multiple times in a few short minutes. You can have terrible shadows one moment, then get brilliant light illuminating your subject tower the next. Unless you're directing a pilot to get very specific shots that you've prepared for (i.e. a morning flight to get the east side of the skyline lit up) there's a certain "you take what's given to you" approach to aerial photography.

edit: I guess the other aspect of aerial photography is knowing when not to take a photo. That said. Sometimes even a 'bad' photo is good in the future when looking back for comparison or historical purposes.
Yeah, that's sort of what I was getting at in my original comment to bhawk but I guess he didn't totally understand what I was saying. Good insight as always though into the nitty gritty details of the photog life though. Definitely didn't mean it as a slight either. The photo above it is art. Even on the ground you can take a shot you think is great and then it just doesn't materialize into what you thought it'd look like when you're editing on the computer back home. Adding velocity and absurd distances only further messes with that