View Single Post
Old Posted Jan 18, 2019, 3:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aaamazarite View Post
Honestly I think this rendering misrepresents how close the new tower is to Society Hill Towers. Though I don't hate the design, it looks a little ordinary for what are bound to be very high-end units.

That said, Society Hill Civic takes NIMBYism to a level beyond any other single entity in the city-- they even master planned their own NIMBYism:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/n1i25xytih...30.17.pdf?dl=0

Some of their greatest hits include: delaying Independence Place for 20 years, stopping the African American museum from being built in their neighborhood in the 70s, shaking down Pennsylvania Hospital every time they built a new building and suing them even after they give in, forcing the New Market site to stay empty for decades, holding back the Dilworth House site from getting developed, and worst of all creating the precedent that other RCOs in town use try to kill projects for little to no reason.
Agree. And while I do think Society Hill is a unique neighborhood and one of a small and esteemed group where maintaining the character of the neighborhood is an argument that holds some weight, these people take it way too far. They object to a 4-story building as too tall and out-of character (Acme) and pretty much any attempt to add a modicum of density and life. Also, Walnut Steet is on the outskirts of the neighborhood and in close proximity to other towers. Towers are appropriate there. I think the boundaries should be redefined so that Walbut Street is drawn out of Society Hill and its Civic.