View Single Post
Old Posted Nov 14, 2009, 7:11 PM
Crane Goddess

The toll was supposed to go away on the Golden Gate as well.
To learn more of the "dirty deeds" of the Golden Gate Bridge District, pick up a copy of the book they don't want you to read, it's called "Paying the toll", and can be found on Amazon.
In the case of the Golden Gate, tolls collected partially fund the bus and ferry operations run by the district, as well as paying for vital bridge maintenance.
Although a conversation with a bridge ironworker was illuminating- he said that current GGB administration doesn't seem to care about the bridge that much, only its toll money. Look at the middle two horizontal portal braces on the south tower- covered in rust. That ironworker told me that every day, he and his coworkers walk the cables, and report on things that need fixing. And those reports have a habit of being ignored.
And now they're talking about charging bikers and pedestrians a toll as well. Unreal.

I imagine Bay Bridge also has some of her toll funds allocated to maintenance, "care and feeding", and the like.

About bridge closures- I wonder if they did lane closures at various times when the west span retrofit was happening, instead of full bridge closures. Closing a lane or two at night or during slower traffic times might not be so noticable.
"Prayers are fleeting and wars are forgotten, but what is built endures"
-Ambassador DeLenn, Babylon 5