View Single Post
Old Posted Jun 24, 2020, 7:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MMDelon View Post
Hey everyone I am new to the group and have been reading your post for awhile and decided to join. I am born and raised here in the Valley and it's pretty cool to see the development during the last 5 years. I am still a little confused on why Phoenix has such a small downtown with such a big population. I know some of it has to do with the airport and some due to height restrictions. Things like urban sprawl plays a part to but it's still very surprising when I visit cities like Austin, Denver, and Seattle to see the difference in the skyline and downtown development. What do y'all feel needs to happen for our downtown to catch up?
Strictly talking about height, I doubt you will ever see the heights of those other cities, but if/when Astra goes up I think it will push what heights are acceptable even higher. That area has a lot of potential for height and changing the skyline.

The area immediately south of talking stick and chase field needs at least some buildings, because the view from Jefferson south just looks like the city abruptly ends. I think a development that could really energize that area would be if Virgin/Brightline developed a high speed rail station like it has in Miami and connect Phoenix to other cities with an actual alternative to flying or road trips.

Then Roosevelt and Midtown have a lot of potential as well.