View Single Post
Old Posted Jul 8, 2019, 11:49 AM
Planet Ottawa and beyond

Quote:
Originally Posted by jagr View Post
Hi,

New member here. Great site.

I would like to create some very simple 3D models (length, width, height) for several buildings in my area. I can get the (lat,long) of the corner(s) from Google maps, and I can get the height from published no. of floors (e.g. @ 3-4 m/floor). So that's the easy part.

I'm also familiar with UTM, MTM, geographic coordinate systems, and I can convert between them if required.

I recall trying Sketchup a couple of years ago. At the time I wanted to draw a model of a house, but it wasn't easy to use for that level of detail. But all I need now is a 3D cube to represent each building, so that's much simpler.

Once I get these models, can I display them as 3D buildings on Google Earth or has that feature been discontinued now?

I have seen a detailed Sketchup model of a house in the Sketchup Viewer. It allowed me to rotate the building and see shadows at any time of day on any day of the year. To do that, I presume it must be geo-registered to know where the sun is. So how can I do that?

If there is a quick tutorial that shows me how to enter (lat,long) of a corner, the 3 dimensions (length, width, height) that would be great. I did some searching but couldn't find one.

Thanks.
Welcome to the forum!