View Single Post
Old Posted Jun 7, 2023, 6:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redddog View Post
Do we think that this will ultimately help or hurt the homeless scene in OC?

Obviously, I want a much more substantial response to homelessness on a national level. Philly's homeless population, while relatively small compared to other large cities (believe it or not), is especially difficult to address because they all choose to be out there. The drug trade is responsible for the lion's share of these people, closely followed by the mentally challenged.

My question is this: does the presence of a facility like this attract more homeless to the area or does it remove the homeless off the streets of the surrounding neighborhood?

I completely support the goal of this facility. I'm just wondering how it will impact Old City when it's up and going.
I guess we'll find out. Arguably, smaller facilities like this should be placed throughout the city so the burden isn't placed on one area or neighborhood alone. As an anecdote, I would argue that you wouldn't know the Project Home facility on Fairmount and Ridge was a homeless shelter unless you knew it was Project Home. In that case, it's presence is imperceptible.
Hopefully this is much the same.