View Single Post
Old Posted Jan 6, 2014, 5:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steely Dan View Post
chicago's largest is the circle interchange where the dan ryan/kennedy intersects with the ike, just southwest of downtown, but it's an outmoded design from the 60s that has notorious back-ups. i've heard that it's the worst interchange in the nation in terms of back-ups.

source: http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi...ge_Chicago.jpg

...snip...
I went to school at UIC (upper left) a very good university with a HUGE inferiority complex, the administration is always comparing themselves to the BIG U of I downstate. The administration had the name changed (just before I started) from UICC Univ of Ill Circle Center, the main reason given was that it was the only university in the world named after a highway interchanged.

It will be interesting to see how far automatic ticketing systems can go in improving the flow in these big cluster f---ks, a prime example being the transition here from N bound on the DanRyan to W bound on the Ike. Consistently jammed all hours of day and night, primarily from the drivers who ignore the Turn Only lane, and race 1/4 mi ahead to force their way in a the very last minute - well after the solid white Don't Cross line. A few cameras, change it from a traffic offense to a civil fine ......