View Single Post
Old Posted Aug 17, 2022, 10:37 PM

Life is what happens while you're making other plans

(For my last day b4 I getting back out on the road) I ended up reviewing the 3-year-old Blueprint Denver Executive Summary. Not a surprise that I find it a tad too idealistic (to be practical); that said there's no harm in being aspirational and visionary.

If you happen to follow DenverInfill, then you can easily see what developers like by observing what they do.

5 ways Charlotte is rewriting development rules, besides single-family zoning
August 15, 2022 By Danielle Chemtob and Alexandria Sands - AXIOS
Quote:
Charlotte City Council is slated to vote on a nearly 700-page rewrite of the rules that guide development in our fast-growing city, but most of the attention has focused on one controversial aspect: allowing duplexes and triplexes by-right in single-family areas.
Despite a few reservations, I had previously concluded that eliminating single family zoning would be No Big Deal.

Quote:
Intentions to preserve history, character

Why it matters: Charlotte has a reputation for bulldozing its history.
Denver is already doing some of this (preserving historical areas) and for neighborhoods that I like as Anchors of Stability you're only likely to see multi-plexus at the margin and I do love missing middle units. "Missing Middle" units are more likely to occur in neighborhoods like Virginia Vale/Village or even University Hills.

This I like
Quote:
Saving trees and creating open space
Bottom Line: I think Denver is doing just fine. It's near impossible to provide enough supply to get ahead of demand - until demand slows (way) down. It's so much easier for peeps to pick up and move to Denver than it is to build new housing.