View Single Post
Old Posted Nov 8, 2021, 2:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckeye Native 001 View Post
I took both in 2001 or 2002, and am glad I did. I think my ACT composite was between 18 and 20 and my SAT was 980. Both scores are terrible, but somehow the ACT score was enough to get into a third tier liberal arts school in Southern California.

I think the SAT added a writing section several years after I took it?
I initially only took the SAT, but then for shits and giggles, I applied to NYU, not knowing anything about it, and decided to take the ACT because I thought it would give me an edge somehow, and sent both my SAT and ACT scores there, and got accepted... not sure if the ACT helped, but in my mind, it did. I didn't even wanna go there, I really don't know what I was thinking. My goal was to get into UCLA (which I got rejected from). Even my friends were all "Why do you wanna go to NYU? You're too LA, you're soooo not New York." And I was like, "I know, huh."

I never sent my SIR (or whatever NYU calls it), and I actually got a call from them a month later or so, saying "You never told us if you're going to register in the fall." And I said "Oh, well, I'm no longer interested in attending NYU" and the guy said "Really? Well, are you still going to continue your education?" And I said "Yeah, I'll be going to UC Santa Barbara in the fall" (which I did, and then transferred out because I hated it there and ended up graduating from Cal State Long Beach) and he said "Oh, OK, well, as long as you are going to college." I was very surprised they followed up; when I told a friend, he said "Well, they *are* a private school, they probably just wanted your money."

~ Charles Bukowski