View Single Post
Old Posted Oct 29, 2015, 3:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by br323206 View Post
You're right, mea culpa. I originally looked at just cities with more than 1 million but then added Boston last second because people do like to compare it to Philly. To be fair, it does anchor a 4.5 million person metro area and has a combined statistical area larger than Philly's. Boston proper is only 48 square miles, so it's population number is skewed to the lower end. But I agree, Philly is world's ahead of Boston in every respect of what makes a city great.
Let's give credit where credit is due: central Boston is VERY impressive by American standards; it's metro area is nearly the same size as ours, so it makes sense that the centers are equivalent in scale. I think Boston is a little too froo froo, and I prefer Philly, but I'd wager more visitors find central Boston more appealing and maybe even a little more impressive than Center City.

I think Boston in many ways offers Philadelphians an idea of the potential of our city if we could somehow do things better (starting with the politicians). If we had the resources and leadership sophistication that Boston has, Philadelphia would blow Boston out of the water. But as it stands, Boston does alot quite a bit better than we do. It's hard to get alot of good stuff done when you have Jannie Blackwell and Bob Brady constraining everything with their backward worldview.