View Single Post
Old Posted Apr 15, 2021, 1:00 AM
He/his/him. >~<, QED!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pedestrian View Post
People who have earned income or income sourced in New York City (or state) but don't live there DO have to pay New York State income tax on the income earned there but not New York City income tax unless, as was said, they are residents of the city as spelled out here: https://www.tax.ny.gov/pdf/current_f..._1_fill_in.pdf

I have, from time to time, owned units in limited partnerships located in New York City and had to pay New York State income tax on the earnings of those partnerships but not New York City income tax.

In any case, most (all???) states give you a tax credit on their resident income tax for non-resident state income taxes paid to other states (and cities). By the way, in the era of Turbotax, it's really not all that complicated.
I think since the 2015 court ruling all states must give a tax credit, if I'm reading it correctly. It seems like maybe Maryland didn't at the time?

And Turbotax makes you pay to file such taxes, the principle of which makes me so annoyed that I do my taxes by hand out of protest.