View Single Post
Old Posted Apr 21, 2021, 1:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by someone123 View Post
I think there is truth to this and the Canadians who really don't like it and would be more influential here tend to relocate to the US or elsewhere. There are strong selection effects in Canada.

Ontario is the worst place in Canada right now with a bunch of weird restrictions they had to walk back and lots of cases. Many other provinces have had a mix of not so heavy restrictions and lower than average covid risk.

The restrictions don't bother me so much now that we have vaccines. I don't get the people who were skeptical that vaccines would be developed and yet also bullish on lockdowns. There is also a kind of "immunity denialism" that is not talked about much. The media barely acknowledge that people have resistance to covid after their immune system successfully fights it off.

I also think the notion of "lockdowns" is somewhat misleading not, as most say, because the lockdowns would work if only they were harsher, but because there never was a plan to lock everything down and have people come and deliver us food in space suits. People still needed to go to work, live with roommates and older relatives, etc. Around here it feels like governments have tried to draw attention away from this by blaming covid cases on elective "bad behaviour" like partying. As if the poorest people around here are all partying it up in ski chalets in the weekend and that's why they are getting covid. It has nothing to do with them working as line cooks or in chicken plants or living with 5 other roommates. Poorer countries had no hope whatsoever of doing society-wide lockdowns.
Yes. And because of this there was no point to even trying. For example it is pointless to make “non-exempt” travellers quarantine for 10 days when entering the U.K. when almost 40% of people entering the country are exempt from this requirement (and everyone has to test negative). It’s just PR nonsense for the paranoid types to show that your government is protecting you.
There is a cult of ignorance in the United States, and there always has been. The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that "my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge." - Isaac Asimov