View Single Post
Old Posted Oct 25, 2007, 2:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waterlooson View Post
Yes, Balsillie "ignored" NTP while feeling that he was right up to the bitter end.... trouble was, the judge disagreed with Balsillie.

"When he and business partner Donald Stout contacted RIM in 2000 about obtaining a license for the NTP technology, however, they didn't get a response....
Stout told The Washington Post last year that RIM has had to spend more in legal fees -- $25 million to $50 million -- than it would have cost to license the company's technology."

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn...030301957.html
I am thinking that if you were being held hostage by that type of company you would have resisted too. And 'licensing fees' are rarely a one time thing, it may have only been that much based on sales back then but i am thinking would have risen with handset sales or some such thing.

Just because an American judge sides with an American company over a patent that while legal was morally questionable does not mean Balsillie was wrong. It could mean the law was wrong, it could mean that there are companies out there that specialize in blackmailing major tech firms and sometimes those companies have to stand up for themselves even if they sometimes lose....

I don't think it means that much in the scheme of things and obviously a lot of shareholders agree with me.

Claeren.
"I contend that we are both atheists. I just believe in one fewer god than you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods, you will understand why I dismiss yours." - Historian Stephen Henry Roberts (1901-71).