View Single Post
Old Posted May 18, 2022, 11:32 PM

We moved into one of the original Fleming Drive houses in 1996, and the street was almost exclusively families. As mortgages came due, people started moving and selling to people that rented to students. We stayed for 6 years and were one of the last families on the street. Our house had 3 bedrooms on the main floor and the new owners put 3 more bedrooms in the basement, plus upgraded the 2 piece bathroom we put in to a 3 piece. The basement had 2 windows and they weren't big enough to be classified as bedroom legal, and we had built a wooden deck over them anyway (although I would have done a ground level patio if we had legal size windows).

We bought the place for $104,000 with the upgrades, and when we bought our next house, I really tried to figure out how to keep this house for rental income, but we were still young and had 2 newborn twins, and needed the equity to put down on the new house. Those houses generate over $40k in rental income a year now and I see on house sigma that the twin house 5 doors up just sold for $860k in March.