View Single Post
Old Posted Dec 2, 2021, 5:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by summersm343 View Post
Why are you looking at this as a solely Philadelphia issue? While I agree that the homicide rate was ticking up in 2017, 2018 and 2019, the MAIN DRIVERS for 2020 and 2021 really need to be separated. COVID, the George Floyd Protests and rioting/looting, the Black Lives Matter movement, the defund the police movement, etc. etc.... these are all things that happened in 2020 that are the main drivers behind what we're seeing now. These events also sent crime and homicide rates skyrocketing across the US.... not just Philly.

While I agree this is something we need to get under control, every city across the country is dealing with increased crime and homicide rates right now. Philly's not alone in this. That's something we can take solace in at the very least.
Look at what Oakland is dealing with. Their progressive mayor just had to ask to walk back all of the defunding reforms they passed last year in the wake of the riots. People there were afraid to even leave their homes.

It's certainly an issue that Philadelphia's leadership could be doing more to tackle, but we're not going to see any real progress made until this is addressed at a national level. It's also unfortunately a cultural issue at this point, which makes it far harder to resolve. People feel a certain way on both sides and aren't going to budge because they will perceive it as a personal attack on their values.

The word of law without enforcement to back it up is a dog without teeth: ultimately nothing to fear or respect. As people begin to realize what they can get away with without getting caught, they will get gutsier. People will commit more crimes. You can pass all of the laws you want, but unless there are enforcers to ensure that those who break the law are punished and/or removed from civil society, society will not be... well, civil. It's literally the Wild West, and I use that term without intending hyperbole.

Having police oversight and enforcing the rule of law are not mutually exclusive.