View Single Post
Old Posted Feb 1, 2022, 5:59 PM
hähnchenbrüstfiletstüc

Quote:
Originally Posted by 10023 View Post
^ Interesting. I had assumed that the public health system in Canada was at least better funded, given that it’s a wealthier country than the UK (ex-London). In the UK, the NHS at this point is a liability to the country.
I don't know what the funding is like but we often have long waits and most of the hospitals around here look like Cold War bunkers. I don't think the problems are a money issue per se although maybe more funding would help. One strange feature of our system is the federal government pays for a lot of it but the provinces are responsible for providing the service.

Another strange aspect is we supposedly have worker shortages but we accept around 1% of our population each year in immigration.

Many Canadians with money go abroad when they can. Maybe this is a feature of the system rather than a bug.

Our care home system also seems bad. A large proportion of the deaths, up in the 40% range (I wonder if it's climbing again as the median infection is milder and a larger proportion who die are extremely old/sick), was just in old folks' homes. Our approach to solving this revolved around making sure 22 year olds don't go out to bars, which maybe has some impact in reducing prevalence (though by now it seems to me that most young partiers would have substantial immunity) but seems a bit indirect.