View Single Post
Old Posted Sep 23, 2020, 6:57 PM
Proud Homer!

Quote:
Originally Posted by IWant2BeInSTL View Post
Nashville is growing at the moment and St. Louis isn't, so not sure who would fill a bunch of new skyscrapers. On the other hand, outside of downtown/midtown Nashville has a long way to go to match St. Louis' urban landscape.
Perhaps I should clarify some things.

I think if developers are now building these large apartment complexes (like 4545 Laclede, 200 units) and others throughout the city, which usually have large footprints, they could at least (and should) go more vertical in some areas.

There's no need for "a bunch of new skyscrapers", but more than a few would great.

Why keep building these big bulky complexes in areas like the CWE and Midtown when it's obvious demand for land is increasing and property values are rising as a result? Build vertically.

There'd be more land to play with in those highly desired areas and more money to be made by property owners.

With that said, I do realize that variables/factors come into play- like cost per unit to build, population growth, area of town, deep pocket investors etc.,

But St. Louis - historically - has been adverse to height and it's time to grow up.

To be fair, it's happening some but there is still room for more daring vertical development in St Louis, in my opinion.