View Single Post
Old Posted Dec 23, 2020, 8:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark in Mount Airy View Post
I don't think we should over-react to one instance where some NIMBY or shakedown artist used the existence of a mural to try to stop development. The murals of Philadelphia are awesome, the program that produces them is terrific, and probably the last people in the City who would want to see their work used as a rationale against development would be them, because (as one poster accurately noted) if this rationale were to multiply it would be the end of their program. People already use the existence of scrub gardens in vacant lots to try to stop development -- that doesn't mean we shouldn't try to stop people from temporarily beautifying little tracts in advance of development. NIMBYs are gonna NIMBY, and shakedown artists are gonna shake down. I'm a gay man who completely appreciates the recognition of our community by the mural, and at the same time I would have painted over it myself as soon as possible to remove one more ridiculous objection to development. Just repaint the mural elsewhere. It's not like it's a Violet Oakley.
I mostly agree. I definitely don't think this mural should stand in the way of development.

But what was once a handsome looking mural on a nice brick wall, is now a really ugly white wall painted over brick. If this ugly wall is here for a month or two and then we get a nice tower, fine. I've got no issue at all with that.

My problem is, if they were going to demo the building and start construction, you'd think they'd just do that. Painting the wall doesn't feel to me like the move of someone that is about to move forward with a major construction project. To me it feels like the move of someone that has no intentions of getting started any time soon, but wants to get rid of the mural so it doesn't become a more serious roadblock to development down the road in case someone was able to get it historically protected or whatever.

To me it seems like the same type of move made by Toll over at Jewelers Row when they demoed those buildings. They're making moves that are only concerned with them and their own interests, so that they have maximum flexible with their land going forward so that it's ready whenever they deign to actually build something on it.

So again, no problem with this if construction is imminent. But if I have to look at this wall for a few years, I'm not happy.