View Single Post
Old Posted May 30, 2022, 6:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thurmas View Post
Knowing how winnipegers are this is an election for a pot hole filler campaign to win. Someone who campaigns on pothole filling and cleaning up bus shacks will likely win. With how unpopular transit is in this city I don't see an appetite for the average voters in suburbia clamoring for transit improvements right now. Obviously it should be improved and go to lrt but I see no voter push for it right now.
Yep, this is the sad truth. Bowman got elected to do the same thing. 8 years of filling potholes, and wow, look how great Winnipeg has become. I'm sure another 4 to 8 years of just filling potholes will do a lot for commute mode shift, addressing homelessness, building a more sustainable city, etc.

We've focused on "just fixing the roads" for over a decade now, and the problem is hardly solved. And still Winnipeg faces record amounts of people leaving the city for other places in Canada, and politicians sit back scratching their heads asking themselves why. Perhaps there is more to making cities a good place to live and operate businesses than just smooth streets and low taxes. But our elected officials can barely put 2 and 2 together, so it would be a real stretch for them to be able to think any harder than they already are.