View Single Post
Old Posted Oct 30, 2021, 5:49 AM
NYC/NJ/Miami-Dade

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steely Dan View Post
my daughter basically lost her entire year of kindergarten.

yeah, for the last 3 months she was finally going 2 days/week in-person, so better than nothing i guess, but still 80% of it was staring into a lap top screen from her bedroom, which was largely a waste of time.

and kindergarten is EXPLICITLY all about learning how to behave in a classroom, the socialization stuff, not the ABC's and 123's.

how to sit down and be quiet, how to line up, how to take turns, how to get along with classmates without biting or kicking them, all of that super-important stuff for little kids to learn that is just nowhere "remotely" close to being the same with remote learning.

long term, i think (hope?) she'll be fine, but it still sucks that she kinda got robbed of having a kindergarten experience.

stupid fucking covid.

I wonder how the state test scores will be this year for the various school grades in this nation. I bet a lot of people are woefully behind. Probably a bad semester or year really for a lot of teachers.

The burden on teachers who have to essentially reteach the concepts learned via e-learning will be high I bet. Not that e-learning is bad but I'd imagine small kids are not going to remember all of it or say be motivated in the house... with all of those distractions like toys and video games and tv and mommies vibrating lightsaber.

Last edited by chris08876; Oct 30, 2021 at 5:59 AM.