View Single Post
Old Posted Sep 22, 2022, 10:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
Toronto local coverage really benefits from having national networks and all of their resources and infrastructure simply based there, often in the same building.

You definitely get that with the francophone networks based in Montreal as well.
Even in smaller markets like London, local TV covers city hall a lot more than what I see in BC. CTV London, despite various cutbacks over the past 20 years, still covers London’s city hall quite well.

I watched Le Telejournal 22h recently and was surprised to see that it felt more like a provincial newscast than a national newscast, and it included quite a bit of news of local interest to various parts of Quebec (such as a car accident in Montreal or a proposed expansion to Montreal’s metro). Granted, there’s a provincial election campaign right now in Quebec, but there was absolutely no Canadian news from outside Quebec in the whole hour. Only other stories were about Queen Elizabeth’s upcoming funeral and the war in Ukraine. I’d expect that from TVA but not a national public broadcaster.

The commercials were even for Quebec regional businesses like IGA, and Quebec government PSAs. I was watching on the BC Radio-Canada (ICI Columbie-Britannique), which has its own regional newscast at 6:00.