View Single Post
Old Posted Nov 12, 2021, 7:04 PM
TL;DR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klippenstein View Post
I'm very excited about this prospect, but I can't find any information about where the alignment would be. Though in reading the studies I saw that Oak Park was interested in exploring the possibility of capping sections of the highway. This would make any path exponentially more pleasant and useable. I've biked on frontage roads before. It's not pleasant considering all of the noise, smell and air pollution you're breathing while exercising.
Scroll to page 20 of this PDF: https://www.oak-park.us/sites/defaul...o%20Cicero.pdf

You'll see the trail start at Desplaines Ave and extend east to Columbus Park. Basically it is a widened sidewalk along Harrison/Flournoy Streets on the north side of the expressway.

Sound walls are planned along much of the length, and the path would run on the neighborhood side of the wall so that should cut down on the noise and other unpleasant aspects (not that a mile-long blank wall is much better). It's not reflected in the PDF but I think there's also a possibility for the trail to fly under Harlem and Austin so cyclists wouldn't have to cross those interchanges at grade.