View Single Post
Old Posted Nov 12, 2021, 4:00 PM
TL;DR

Quote:
Originally Posted by SIGSEGV View Post
Maybe using the SSL track? The tracks are parallel by the Dunes I believe so could switch there?
I think a connection track is planned in Burns Harbor to allow Amtrak Michigan trains onto the South Shore? Not sure but I've heard this from some people. This would be a fairly slow route into Chicago because Amtrak would have to crawl behind SSL trains, but at least it would be predictable/reliable with way less potential for delays.

Otherwise the connection could use the former Michigan Central track, which diverges from the South Shore near 130th/Altgeld Gardens and runs through Burnham and Calumet City. This was contemplated as part of the big "South of the Lake" project that would carve out a dedicated passenger corridor between Chicago and the start of Amtrak's line in Porter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by electricron View Post
I also would like to remind everyone that the METRA electric district powers their EMU commuter trains with 1500 VDC, not several thousand volts AC that most HSR trains require.
Metra has considered replacing their DC system with 25kV AC but the low bridges on the lakefront north of Pershing make this difficult/expensive. In the context of an HSR buildout, the benefits of reusing a wide, fully grade-separated ROW built to very high standards though the city probably outweigh the costs of switching to AC. It is the Chicago equivalent of the Hell Gate Line in NYC and the natural entry for intercity trains. Or you could get dual-voltage trainsets with an onboard rectifier.

Last edited by ardecila; Nov 12, 2021 at 4:12 PM.