View Single Post
Old Posted Mar 21, 2023, 2:15 PM
Me?!?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3rd&Brown View Post
Chances are it will do more for the local economy where there are actually places to spend incremental income than it will in the middle of a parking lot in South Philadelphia.

Doesn't seem that difficult to comprehend.

Its the same principle that claims a Roosevelt Boulevard Subway would have more of an economic impact than the KOP extension. Not rocket science.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatorade_Jim View Post
If the area around the arena sucks, the area the arena is in sucks. That affects ticket sales, property values, and event bookings. The Sixers have an interest in you sticking around the area and spending money, hopefully in one of their stores. Subjectively it also seems like the Sixers leadership likes the city, so that helps.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin7 View Post
Misunderstanding. I was responding to the suggestion that the team would build their new arena on Market and then watch the area surrounding that new arena decline.
So an arena that you can get into without having to deal with the outside much (if at all), the owners will care enough about the surrounding area to pump their own money into cleaning it up? I do not agree. They are doing what any business person does: I will build it and that will force the city to do something about it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by philly_account12 View Post
The only way this makes sense is if you've never been to a sporting event outside of the north east lol. We have a tailgating culture sure, but it is absolutely not huge compared to other cities outside our region.

Also we're talking about the Sixers' arena. Not a lot of tailgating going on for 7 pm weekday starts in the middle of winter...
Quote:
Originally Posted by McBane View Post
First of all, prioritizing a bunch of people drinking in a parking lot over the economic health and wellbeing of our city is ridiculous.

Second, there is no tailgating culture prevalent at Sixers (or Flyers) games. That's not to say there are never any tailgaters at those games but it's waaay less than Phillies' games and nowhere near the level you see at a Birds game.
I was responding to why some people may want it to stay where it is, as when multiple events are taking place it is a fun environment and they can feed off of each other.