View Single Post
Old Posted Aug 14, 2022, 10:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhays View Post
I suspect it might do both...the problems will get worse, but also the waste stream will diminish. At minimum it'll make people think about it, and that tends to have a real effect.
In Phoenix, apartment complexes are not required to participate. Most are built with strategically placed dumpsters and don't have the room. Plus, (many) apartment dwellers are notoriously undisciplined.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wong21fr View Post
I'd also suggest that the system works better in the vast majority of the city that was laid out post 1940's (hint: the alley's are wide enough for bins to go on both sides and we don't write passive-aggressive notes to each other on that issue).
Arcadia, a nice residential neighborhood in Phoenix and adjacent to Scottsdale has been quite creative. Not a gated community which resulted in many visitors treating their alleys as Goodwill centers, donating all manner of stuff in the middle of the night. So they gated their alleys.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bunt_q View Post
When the City cut back the days for large item pickups, do you think that reduced the number of couches and mattresses dumped in the alleys? I seriously doubt it. (I just toss them into the middle of the alley - when they block traffic, then people care, and they seem to magically disappear.)
Deliciously done!

While it may not make a difference I wondered if the timing of this is Not Good for getting the sidewalk initiative passed? Hard to say whether there's any sour carryover I guess.