View Single Post
Old Posted Jul 5, 2022, 10:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Howard_L View Post
Oh my. The system has really grown of late.

I remember flying into Guarulhos in 2013 and taking a private motor coach to Tatuapé then the train to Sé then to Jabaquara to take another private motor coach to Guarujá.

After a few days on the beach, I backpacked back into SP, stayed in a hostel by Paraíso. I think the Yellow Line had just opened over to Faria Lima at the time.

Great system. The stations were amazing and the headway between trains was soooo short.
Indeed. Things grew a lot. I moved to São Paulo around the same time (Oct 2012). Line 5 Purple, for instance, it was only an isolated piece in the extreme southwest back then. It opened in 2018. Now it runs parallel to the Line 4 Yellow which is now finally complete. The Line 15 Silver, the monorail, finally opened as well as the Line 13 Jade link Guarulhos Airport to central stations in Brás and Luz.

But yes, stations are very clean and big, trains are wide and headways are ridiculous. During the entire peak times (which is big in São Paulo), headways might go under 90 seconds. And even in the valleys, headways are no longer than 4-5 minutes. That makes the system incredibly reliable. On the other hand, it makes us impatient: when I go to Europe, I find that even in London, Paris and Berlin, trains take too long to arrive.