View Single Post
Old Posted May 30, 2022, 12:45 PM

I just saw that article and yikes talk about a disaster.

That’s the one thing I have to really criticize about the Architecture profession is the desire for aesthetics without the consideration of practicality or general site context. Of course I hate generalizing an entire profession because there are architects who truly want to improve an area. However, a lot of my peers studying in the architecture department are much more concerned with having nice renders then actually solving issues. Of course the professors enable and even support this mindset so they are to blame as well.

Site analysis is one of the most important steps which include having to look into the built form AND prevailing issues in the surrounding context. I think 546 was naive in thinking a building with that many doors would work in that area considering the amount of break ins to single-family houses. The sad thing is it would have worked if it was just a simple apartment block (that is prevalent all over Central Park).

Also, the interiors were a mess. I mean didn’t the units essentially have a floor just for a kitchen? Very unsuitable layouts for their target demographic which were families.