View Single Post
Old Posted Feb 23, 2022, 10:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trae View Post
The freeway is already there and the expansion of the freeway includes better neighborhood connectivity elsewhere (more parks, trails, demolishing elevated sections). And freeways aren't stupid, are very much needed, and important for regional movement.

So you think things should just stay as they are. Let a wide freeway continue to get more crowded without any improvements done? I'm looking at the bigger picture as far as the region goes and see how the expansion will lead to numerous improvements in other areas that I already mentioned.
It will remove the Pierce Elevated portion of I45 in Midtown, but destroy a whole lot of the areas along I10, I45N, and I69(US59) along the north and east sides of downtown just so more cars can theoretically more easily bypass the downtown area when construction is completed. This does not benefit anyone living on the north or east sides of downtown, only the commuters driving through Houston (ie whose destination is not downtown) and parts of Midtown made available for new "development." It essentially combines 3 interstates (already crowded) into a single highway around downtown.

This also means that there will be 5-10 years of construction and congestion added to every single freeway entering downtown.

People who actually live inside the loop don't need a wider road.

Last edited by benp; Feb 23, 2022 at 10:43 PM.