View Single Post
Old Posted Apr 23, 2021, 4:13 PM
Dryer lint inspector

Quote:
Originally Posted by pj3000 View Post
Yeah, I think this is good advice. Houston is a big, interesting city with a lot to do... but without a little planning or having a local tour guide, you can kinda just get that "I don't get it" feeling about Houston. And after spending time in New Orleans, nearly any city is going to pale in comparison in terms of unique charms and joyful, yet moody atmosphere.

Houston is most definitely made up of a diverse population -- I do think it would surprise the casual visitor who still thinks of Texas as cowboys and blondes with big hair.

In my experience, I guess I don't feel the full effect of global diversity that one gets in NY and DC, for instance. Those are the two places that I feel are the most diverse, not simply in terms of census race check box classification, but from the perspective of experiencing a seemingly much fuller, blended range of race, ethnicity, cultural, nationality, and religious variation. Granted, the types (older, much more dense and vibrant) of cities they are certainly lend themselves to increasing visibility of and interaction with their citizens, vs. a city lke Houston.
For the casual visitor, you will probably see more of NY/ DC's diversity than Houston but being a Houston resident for 20+ years, I see it all the time and know where to look.