View Single Post
Old Posted Mar 8, 2021, 11:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quixote View Post
If you try and rationalize something hard enough, it becomes true in your mind. You're the only person on this board and the TTC that thinks Sepulveda is the best option and doesn't harbor any suspicion regarding the numbers. The answer is that Sepulveda is, as bzcat put it, "the path of least resistance," as they would much rather tunnel under city streets than residential neighborhoods.
I doubt I am the only one however I don't harbor the suspicions because I predicted this nearly two years ago how this would play out.

Not surprised by the numbers.
Not surprised by the logic the report spells out.
Not surprised that in my experience in construction management the first rule of thumb are calculating risks and P3s are about risk aversion.
Not surprised in working with Friends for Expo how I learned how Metro and FTA will be calculating the ridership numbers to justify the stations and ridership projections.

Sepulveda is the path of least resistance, shorter and has the most current bus ridership and future ridership to justify the expense.

Every single time I point out one of the reasons why this will play out this way with cited proof, I get an equivalent of shouting "Fake News, Fake News" that Joe Biden is the 46th President.

Quote:
...Things like walkability and TOD opportunities (e.g. urban potential) should be part of the calculus, but they are less easy to quantify.
I could say the same thing about Centinela. I understand the visioning a lot of members hold to this. Personally I would rather use Lincoln Blvd to justify the transformation but I don't want to start another storm.

How in the world a route with no limited stop or Rapid bus service, barely two or three story apartments scarcely scattered along the corridor with some low scale commercial is going to magically transform the street into an urbanists paradise when it doesn't even have the bones to justify a rapid bus or BRT AND we are trying to leverage our sales tax resources to get Federal New Starts money to pay for 50% of this.

These are the very questions the Feds are going to use on how to quantify ridership for a subway corridor that DC will be writing a check for 50% of the costs for. This is where the disconnect is coming from.

Quote:
Whether it's Sepulveda, Centinela, or Overland, or Bechtel or BYD, they're all game-changers and have their advantages. I just want this thing built sooner rather than later.
Agreed!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDRCRASH View Post
Siiiigh...I get the logic here, but... nevermind.

This is where I think people like to insert the word "vision" & "long-term", but oh well...
And this is where we forget the phrase executing the vision to meet long term goals and think that the vision is all we need. But c'est la vie.

The Opposite of PRO is CON, that fact is clearly seen.
If Progress means moves forward, then what does Congress mean?

Last edited by WrightCONCEPT; Jun 2, 2021 at 7:12 PM.